Bipolar Life Victoria

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You'll also gain access to "member only" content.

Tips for when you get "spendy"

Wes

Staff member
One of the more destructive effects of Bipolar is the urge to spend.
We all like a good spree, but when this gets out of hand we can end up with a pile of useless things and crippling debt.
I am not a fan of working overtime for 3 months to pay off 2 days of hypomania..
So I have come up with some ways to help me when I get spendy.

1. List
Make lists of items you need when you are well.
If you need to spend, and cant fight the urge, it helps to have a list of things you actually need.
That way you are less likely to come home broke with 17 jackets, and still need shoes...
2. Delay!
I never buy anything on the first day of a spend, if I can help it.
If the spendy feeling is short lived, you may be able to avoid any unnecessary purchases.
3. Budget.
This is hard for me. I can usually 'find' extra funds in my savings, or with loans (so not recommended) if I feel I really need to.
It doesn't hurt to look at your finances and at least try to minimize the damage before you start.
4. Research.
This has two purposes. The first is to help with the delay.
If I can spend a week researching the perfect item, I may outlast the urge to spend.
Secondly, if I cannot resist any further, then at least I know I am getting the best product at the best price.
Hopefully its something from the list of things I need...

Let me know if you have any other tips.

Michelle

Staff member
I have this little trick I use.

Once I've done all the research (which is what I think gives me the dopamine hit) I'll put the thing I want to buy into my shopping cart. Then I walk away. If I still want it the next day and I don't feel compulsive about it I'll buy it. More often than not I delete it from the shopping cart. This has saved me thousands.

I was looking through my eBay purchases just yesterday looking for something specific I'd bought. I was manic early 2018 and OMG you could tell. The crap I bought on eBay during this period was staggering. Most of it I never used or wore. The clothes are still sitting in my wardrobe unwarn. The makeup is still in its packaging. Such a waste of money.

I was a bit manic earlier this year and bought a car I didn't need. Oops.:gaah:

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Staff member
I have this little trick I use.

Once I've done all the research (which is what I think gives me the dopamine hit) I'll put the thing I want to buy into my shopping cart. Then I walk away. If I still want it the next day and I don't feel compulsive about it I'll buy it. More often than not I delete it from the shopping cart. This has saved me thousands.

I was looking through my eBay purchases just yesterday looking for something specific I'd bought. I was manic early 2018 and OMG you could tell. The crap I bought on eBay during this period was staggering. Most of it I never used or wore. The clothes are still sitting in my wardrobe unwarn. The makeup is still in its packaging. Such a waste of money.

I was a bit manic earlier this year and bought a car I didn't need. Oops.:gaah:
Yup, I know the feeling...

One of the more destructive effects of Bipolar is the urge to spend.
We all like a good spree, but when this gets out of hand we can end up with a pile of useless things and crippling debt.
I am not a fan of working overtime for 3 months to pay off 2 days of hypomania..
So I have come up with some ways to help me when I get spendy.

1. List
Make lists of items you need when you are well.
If you need to spend, and cant fight the urge, it helps to have a list of things you actually need.
That way you are less likely to come home broke with 17 jackets, and still need shoes...
2. Delay!
I never buy anything on the first day of a spend, if I can help it.
If the spendy feeling is short lived, you may be able to avoid any unnecessary purchases.
3. Budget.
This is hard for me. I can usually 'find' extra funds in my savings, or with loans (so not recommended) if I feel I really need to.
It doesn't hurt to look at your finances and at least try to minimize the damage before you start.
4. Research.
This has two purposes. The first is to help with the delay.
If I can spend a week researching the perfect item, I may outlast the urge to spend.
Secondly, if I cannot resist any further, then at least I know I am getting the best product at the best price.
Hopefully its something from the list of things I need...

Let me know if you have any other tips.
Good tips. I have turned off PayPal and any one click buying power on my phone so if I do want to buy something I have to grab my wallet and key in details. This is often enough to stop me. Lately I've been downloading bank transactions and listing purchase amount in categories. Helping me keep accountable to a budget. This can bring in some feelings of guilt though.

Melissa

thanks everyone.
I do 3 of the things listed above:
- lots of research (over a week or 2) as a means to delay
- put in cart and wait at least 2 days (sometimes longer) and I've changed my mind.
- write a list of what I need...so I can, at least, if worst comes to it, but something I need......

I've also (over the last few years) tried to intellectualise why I want an item..... and most of the time, it'll be because I want things "perfect" because I feel so imperfect (i.e. i have a blue, red, green and yellow teapot, and it would look balanced/perfect if I bought a fifth one that was Pink (for example)...... and also, in a spike, i feel out of control and want to feel in control (by shopping....).. now that I have this understanding, it helps me to realise that I won't feel perfect at the end of it, and that after out of the spike, the purchase will make me feel worse.....

I look forward to other ideas.

Wes

Staff member
Good tips. I have turned off PayPal and any one click buying power on my phone so if I do want to buy something I have to grab my wallet and key in details. This is often enough to stop me. Lately I've been downloading bank transactions and listing purchase amount in categories. Helping me keep accountable to a budget. This can bring in some feelings of guilt though.
I have started using the Pocketbook app to track where my money goes, and bring in feelings of guilt :ROFLMAO: