Bipolar Life Victoria

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You'll also gain access to "member only" content.

The Wes Life

Wes

Staff member
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since...
No?
Well, in my own words then..
My first real depression was at 18, and I had no idea what it was.
It turned my 4 year degree into the hardest 8 years, and I left having almost completed a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
After that, there were good years, with great jobs and friends, and other years, where I couldn't work or took laboring jobs, and didn't 'fit' with people.
There were a couple of spectacular breakdowns, and I often wondered why my life seemed so much harder than everyone else.
At 42, I was in the best job I had ever had. I had recently (finally) graduated. People worked for me, I was challenged and loved my job.
When they pulled me into the office, I had no idea how unprofessional I had been, and how badly my work had suffered.
This is when I tracked down a diagnosis.
The next few years was learning about Bipolar, watching my career slowly die, and being so over medicated I could barely function.
I also discovered support groups, and found my people.
Now that I have finally got my medication sorted and understand what is happening to me, I have the tools to live a reasonably okay life, and am content to do so.
I believe I finally know what I want to be when I grow up, and it involves helping people living with Bipolar.
I am actually looking forward for the first time since my diagnosis, and am excited about my future.

Michelle

Staff member
This is wonderful.

I think I know what I want to be when I grow up too. I just hope it's not too late.

Great news Wes, I'm studying mental health and hope to get actively involved in the sector. The course is fascinating and is a great foundation for everyone.
I'm so glad I met this group a couple of years ago and my mental health and social connection has improved. Good luck with the studies