Bipolar Life Victoria

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You'll also gain access to "member only" content.

An Unquiet Mind - Kay Redfield Jamison

Wes

Staff member
This is an autobiography of a doctor with Bipolar.
Dr Kay Redfield Jamison is one of the foremost authorities on bipolar disorder.
She has studied it, and lived it, for many years. This book is the story of her life.
Very well written, informative and interesting, this is easily one of the best books I have read about the effects of bipolar.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Guy

Honestly, I do not understand why people go on about this book. Like many of the less than useful books on the disorder, it is purely anecdotal. If you want to read a personal account by someone who happens to be a medical doctor, feel free, but don't expect any insight or information that is valuable to you. Jamison concludes by saying (like many with type I) that if she could choose whether or not to have the disorder, she would nonetheless choose to have it. I regard this as the ultimate insult to anyone who has had to deal with unrelenting type II depression.

Zero stars

Melissa

I've not read the book, but Guy, your statement reminds me of working with people who are blind or low vision (years ago).... and when people used to ask: would you prefer to be deaf or blind - awful question and a minimal way to culminate a person into such a narrow lens

Reactions: Guy

Wes

Staff member
Honestly, I do not understand why people go on about this book. Like many of the less than useful books on the disorder, it is purely anecdotal. If you want to read a personal account by someone who happens to be a medical doctor, feel free, but don't expect any insight or information that is valuable to you. Jamison concludes by saying (like many with type I) that if she could choose whether or not to have the disorder, she would nonetheless choose to have it. I regard this as the ultimate insult to anyone who has had to deal with unrelenting type II depression.

Zero stars
Gotta love a book that polarises opinion!
Thanks for the review Guy.
(I too would not choose bipolar...)
I look forward to seeing more (y)

Reactions: Guy

Guy

I have just realised that the five star rating system actually goes from one to five, not from zero to five, so I will revise my rating from zero stars to one. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Wes

Caroline

Great to see even the reviews are diverse.
I’m still curious to read because I like to glean facts about interesting people, whatever their human condition.
I do agree with Guy though that the depression is truly awful.
For me mania has been more of a problem for others ( well apart from some risk taking behaviours) but depression has been a long lonely silent burden.
Thanks Guy and Wes, I’d love to keep these up.

Marie

There are lots of different books about bipolar around. So many experience, writing styles, personal anecdotes, medical explanations.... I have learnt something from most of them. Here's a favourite of mine: Welcome to the Jungle: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Bipolar but Were Too Freaked Out to Ask by Hilary T. Smith. See Welcome to the Jungle